Cowboys Aren't Sheepherders

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Country Roads



The past weekend I got in my car and road up in the Macedonia area of Lake Allatoona. In the back roads I saw wild turkeys. A mother and 4 small ones.

The only turkey I saw back in the old times was a wing hanging on an Indian decendants wall that my Dad took me to visit. This man lived close to nature. He grew his own tobacco and I still remember what they called the twists of tobacco leaf.

It was an very interesting place for a child, things like drying green beans, strung across the back porch. Vegetables in the old root cellar. A big garden and of course the deer horns from the past winter hunts.

Just looking at the roads and all the changes those times do not seem real. Daddy loved to just walk in the woods and one year in the fall he took me to the area of old Stamp Creek, which at one time had a covered bridge over it. Deep water that today looks peaceful. When we started towards the lake it was in the late fall and snakes were scurries everywhere and being no fan of the crawling things, I told Dad hey what if we get bit? He replied "They are more scared of you than you are of them."

Oh yeah! Saturday was the first time in many years I had been to that area so having my trusty borrowed camera I took a few shots. Hope you enjoy them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home