Cowboys Aren't Sheepherders

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Death of a Child





Today Ian and I attended a funeral for a 22 month old child who drowned on Saturday. It was the 1st time he had ever been to a true old time southern funeral.

Now most these days are dignified, the family and friends silently weeping and maybe a few crying out loud. But not wailing to the high heavens. If you do not know the word it means yelling and crying at the same time. In the old days people were hired to do this, but times have changed.

The child was a beautiful little angel and deserved more than what she got. The music was beautiful. But 3 preachers and them trying to convert the group and some idiot yelling Amen. This was a childs, a precious childs, funeral.

When I was small most funerals I attended had this type of preachers who could not leave their Sunday sermons till the proper time. My mom never carried on like this group does at funerals. Knowing what the viewing would be like I pushed Ian out so he would not see the true disaster of the thing. It took the family 20 minutes of wailing and guilty feelings to complete the service.

When I go let me be given a graceful farewell. I attended a funeral for a very good friend in Maryland in 1997 and one of the people took me aside and made sure I knew the rules. It struck me that most people think we all act that way. No laying on the casket and making an ass of ones self. Southern or Yankee be polite and show some manners.

Guess I have made a few relatives mad if they hear or read about this. Again it may wake a few of the younger ones up. But when a grieving Mother will not let her living child ride with her in the funeral limo there is something wrong. A child is God's gift to you when the time comes and you have to let go it hurts more than you can describe.

My Mom lost 2 babies between my sister and I and she would always remember them with love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home