Cowboys Aren't Sheepherders

Friday, March 30, 2007

Good Old Days






Yesterday a friend sent me one of the messages that make the rounds of what the good old days were like. Some of them were not so good. My family lived in a poverty ruled time. The Depression of the 30's left a mark on them. Never wanted to be that way again and worked hard to stay above the bad times of that era.

Money was usually short, but Dad's family made great gardens. Hunted for wild animals, such as deer. So we never went hungry. But when television came along. My Dad discovered the movies he had loved so much when he was younger and the religion he chose forbade enjoying the evil theater.

He bought a television set as soon as he could save the money to get a small one. Many hours of watching westerns and the movies from the 1930's and 1940's. He lived to see color take over, but somehow the great shoot um up westerns remained his favorite.

Especially The kind where the good guy wore a white hat and the bad guy wore a black hat. He always wanted to try to out shoot Marshal Dillon.

The comedies were my favorite Our Miss Brooks was one I waited for each week. I love Lucy with the quick wit of the four main stars. Sid Caesar and Imogene Coca driving the car down the road while sitting in two chairs, left both of us laughing so hard we almost rolled in the floor. When she came to the sign about snakes in the road( curves ahead or winding road). One of my favorite scenes.

Wrestling was one of my Grandmother's favorites. Remember Gorgeous George with the bleached blond hair. Baron Leonne to name a few. She weighed less than a hundred pounds skinny and mean as a ***** . Dad and Mom took her to a real match one night and she shook her fist at a 200 + pound wrestler.

Just a few of my memories. Hope you like the pictures.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for the last picture. It's my favorite one of your parents. I really like stories of their nature and gardening background. Have a nice day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home