Cowboys Aren't Sheepherders

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

American cars versus Japanese cars



As the proud owner of several of the American made vechiles I am now out of the lemon business and into the Toyoto group. Why?

In the years since I started buying vechiles I have tried new, used, and borrowed and ended up with more bad American made cars than I care to remember. The really bad one was a Chevy van I bought. A little grey jewel that needed a new motor just 300 miles short of the warrenty.

It lost the chrome off before I got home with it. I traded and sold it to my ex brother in law, a mechanic of sorts, who could not get the bugs out of it. The next car was another chevy. This time a bigger one. Again the motor gave up at 40000, a little longer then the van.

Next came the chevette. Worked great until it had 90000. Then the tie rod broke and my son and I almost ended up on the railroad tracks with the rain pouring down. Our angel was looking after us that night.

Then the Regal. 1985 transmission was too small for the weight of the car. I spent 8000 miles caring it back to the buick dealer in Cartersville. The mechanic told me no moving parts were in the transmission and it was my imagination. Since my Dad was a mechanic and he had told me several things about cars and the powder puff course I took at one of the local colleges something told me he saw a dumb blonde on this end. Well after 3 transmissions replaced, per the manager, the stupid thing kept going out of control at the worst times.

I jumped a ditch when I looked up to check to see if the light was green, at a theatre the stupid thing went out of control in park. Almost killing 10 people who had been moved again by my angel.

When I called General Motors their answer was....WHO CARES? Guess they found out!

My next adventure was the Ford Motor Dealers. The regal went for a pickup with a problem. It went dead every time you had to stop and drank gas worse than the suvs of today. It was a 12 gallon tank so guess they figured you were never going to take a long trip with it. To the store and back. Next came a ford tempo I drove it longer and got better sevice than all of the rest put together. So what did ford do quit making it.

The mechanic got the transmission messed up at 99000 miles and swore it could not be anything wrong with it. Guess after driving that many miles the good service was my imagination. HUh.

Anyway after it died a long and sad death I traded it for a Ranger pickup truck that the overdrive and cruise control would not work properly together. After standing in the dealership stomping my big feet that they would not fix it every though it was under warrenty. It just happened that a rep from the main office, was in that day and low and behold it worked for 6 months and then kaboom gone.

The paperwork was a waste of time. They had no intention of repairing or replacing the truck even with the new lemon law.

Trade for a used chrysler. It worked for 40000 and then the air conditioner went out but when the radio went. So did the car.

This is not all the trades but just the highlights.

My first Toyoto was a truck which I traded for a Highlander. Then a second car, Camery, which saved my life when it was hit head one when a cell phone addict ran a red light. The car seat belts left bruises and every piece of the windshield was shattered but I came thru with only shattered nerves. Stil do not like to drive that part of the road.

Then a red truck Toyota and a White highlander which I love and am still driving are working great. The truck cd player went out when the warrenty had a month to go and it was replaced without a hassle.

Anytime I need something checked it is checked by a qualified mechanic and if they have any problems they keep a file on it from all dealer and how to fix the problems.

My hat is off to you who like you American Made Vechiles but to tell you the truth I would never pack Miss Rose in one and take a 4500 + mile trip without a lot of worry as to whether I would end up in wide open country with a broke down lemon.

1 Comments:

  • Wow, that's one stunning car history, for a woman, too... ;) Have a great sunday!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home