Cowboys Aren't Sheepherders

Friday, February 17, 2006

Who are you?



My life on Wednesday felt like my car did in 2004. Totalled.


Two days ago I got a telephone call saying my carpet was ready to be installed. This was surprising because I do not like carpets. Thus began my nightmare as to how many with my name are out there.

It was easy to get the info on the other person and was she ever upset when I called the installers back and said cancel the order no carpet was ordered for this address.

After calling the installers back and trying to get the info on who had used my name and address, they gave me the order number, the toll free number in California, and anything else I wanted to know. This is how easy it must be for people to steal your name and all the info about you.

I called California was put on hold, cut off 3 times, and finally got a guy who gave me the name, address, and unpublished number of the other party. All because I had the order number. After dialing the number voice mail answered and I left a message that must have sounded awfully bad. She was more upset that I had her nonpub number than she was about how easily I had gotten all the information on her. No comment on possible blonde jokes please.

I called Home Depot and cancelled my account, my bank and made sure no strange charges were on my account and the installers again. After all this I finally began to ask how they, the installation company had gotten my name and address mixed up with an Atlanta listing. Bingo! My name was first on the list of Home Depot customers who had an installation order. Since the Cosco Company was the new sellers how do you deal with computers and the operators?

That was how I managed to leave her word that her order was cancelled. When she returned the call, she raised hell for 5 minutes while I left the telephone laying next to the dog, only looked at it like what in the heck? Then got up and left.

After the caller calmed down, I explained how all my day had gone and she still griped and moaned about her unlisted number. I began to wonder what a woman with all this time on her hands was so upset about that and not the possibility I could have taken the carpet and had it installed and sent her the bill.

Cosco repesentive called later to apologize for the mixup and he took a minute or two to figure the error out. He still is scratching his head wondering HOw did our customer get with this nut? Computers Baby!

So what do you do after an eposide like this? You get in your car and drive to the nearest slot machine and lose your shirt. It was very relaxing and I still can not believe this day happened.

Peace to the other lady and take care of your reputation its all we have that is truly ours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home